Qualifying Child Rules & Assumption for the CTCulator
- The qualifying child must not provide more than half of his or her own support
- You must be able to claim the qualifying child as a dependent on your tax return (must meet all 4 tests in order to claim your child as a dependent – see your preparer for more info)
- The CTCulator does not take into account any exclusion of income from Puerto Rico and Foreign Earned Income from the following forms: 2555 Lines 45&50; 2555-EZ Line 18 and 4563 Line 50
- Phase-out for the CTC begins at $110,000 for MFJ, $75,000 for Single-Head of Household & Qualifying Widow(er); and $55,000 for Married Filing Separate
- The qualifying child must be a U.S. citizen, a U.S. national or a U.S. resident alien.
- Relationship to child must be son or daughter, a stepchild, brother or sister, stepbrother, stepsister and any of their descendants. A foster child must be placed with you by a court or authorized agency. An adopted child is always treated as your own child.